Friday 20 January 2023

January - named from Roman Janus

 


This beautiful painting is from "The Country Diary Of An Edwardian Lady" by Edith Holden - I have the facsimile reproduction from her diary written in 1906. 

I adore it - and think it is a good way to start my "nature-travel" through the year 2023. 

Outside snow is falling in little flakes. Nature sleeps, the puddles are covered with ice. This one looks like a beautiful shawl or veil. 




The few bulb plants I impatiently bought hang listless and limp over the rim of their flowerpots on the balcony table - but we both know that they are tough and at the first kiss of the sun will rise their little heads again. 

The title above is a quote from Edith's diary: "... Janus, who is represented with two faces looking in opposite directions, - as retrospective to the past, and prospective to the coming year."  

  

6 comments:

  1. "The Country Diary Of An Edwardian Lady" tells us something that I always believed - that the Edwardian era, albeit short, was full of learning and culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Helen - I love their style and refinement (though it was a heavily divided very rich and very poor society).. Women became more important (and I am not only talking of the suffragettes). And I love their literature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this facsimile book. It's lovely to dip into. Now I need to look at the January pages. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is very beautiful, isn't it? I also forget sometimes to look into it - but suddenly I look at my garden books and remember and enjoy it.

      Delete
  4. Janus, the god of thresholds, graciously ushering us into a new year of delights. An elegant read, dear Britta, and an exquisite example of Mother Nature's handiwork. If you'd not told us we were looking at a frozen puddle, I would never have guessed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Pip, in winter I see so many artistic examples for Mother Nature's virtuosity. Maybe because colours (though I like them) don't cry for attention.
    Let's enter the new year with delight, hope, enthusiasm and curiosity!

    ReplyDelete

Bouquet of January: Daisies and Strawberry Leaves.

  Yesterday I went out for a stroll - it was Sunday, and the icy wind threw a fine drizzle of snow into my face. I hoped very much that it w...