Friday 28 October 2022

Cherries - and a Touching Madonna



In Berlin sometimes I dip into a museum and look at only one or two paintings. It is like having an "espresso", a "little mouthful" as Pu Bear would say - just a glimpse at Beauty, and the eyes, the heart and the soul are happy. 

I notice "little things" - and that is one reason why I love this painting so much (you find it in Berlin's "Gemäldegalerie):  

"The Madonna and Child Enthroned" (1525) by Quinten Matsijs, a Dutch painter, (né 1465 in Leuven/ died 1530 in Antwerpen) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quentin_Matsys 

Butter, cherries, and a roll - these mouthwatering details you see it in this  painting.  




What fascinates me is the "imperfect" surrounding: this Madonna is so real - so human, she is not the unapproachable "Holy Virgin", but a tender young woman who cuddles her child. As most mothers she has a lot to do, household chores are not the most important on her To-Do-list. 

You see, if you look very hard, something on the floor, in front of her right foot: 

                                        some cherry pits!  




4 comments:

  1. Reading and endeavouring to understand the signs and symbols in early (especially Dutch) paintings is a passion of mine too. Cherries symbolise "fruit of Paradise" and if held by the Christ Child represent the sweetness of good works. Eaten cherries with just the pip and stem remaining is a gentle reminder of the impermanence of life.
    One of my favourite paintings filled with symbols is The Ambassadors by by Hans Holbein.
    I have a good introductory book called The Hutchinson Dictionary of Symbols in Art by Sarah Carr-Gomm.
    https://wherefivevalleysmeet.blogspot.com/2012/05/ambassadors-by-hans-holbein-1533-signs.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rosemary, I am stunned!
      Your blog post about The Ambassador has taught me a lot.
      The book by Sarah Carr-Gomm I do not know, but soon will! :-) , found it on Amazon.
      I know about "The language of flowers", but symbols and their meaning - e.g. of cherries - and their pips - were new to me, thank you so much!
      (The impermanence of life is a theme I just study a bit in literature, might appear on my other blog).
      I really enjoy my exchange here.

      Delete
  2. Quentin Massys was a talented Dutch artist and although I had not seen The Madonna and Child Enthroned before, I understand why you wanted to spend time examining the details. Especially Dutch art which was always filled with details.

    The highlight for me was, as you mentioned, the normal quality of motherly love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Helen, same to you as to Rosemary: I am happy to read your comment!
      I am always glad to find hints of "everyday life" in paintings - or novels - that is so delightful. I
      do hope that soon I will be in the Netherlands again and watch the beautiful paintings in Amsterdam (and otherwhere of course).

      Delete

Bouquet of January: Daisies and Strawberry Leaves.

  Yesterday I went out for a stroll - it was Sunday, and the icy wind threw a fine drizzle of snow into my face. I hoped very much that it w...